Saturday, March 17, 2007

Bus Blogging

On my way to New Orleans, I was trying to prepare myself to face the devastation. I was expecting to see shattered homes, broken families and destroyed neighborhoods. While I did see these images, what surprised me the most was seeing the resiliency of the human spirit. I was inspired seeing small businesses re-opening their offices, families making the transition from the FEMA trailers back into their houses and children walking together to go to school. This is best lesson I have learned: while nature’s forces might be strong enough to break down levies, it must still withstand the strength of the human spirit.

*******************************************************

I never imagined that my experience would be as fulfilling and eye-opening as it was. When I signed up to come to New Orleans, I knew that I would see and feel some sadness. I also knew that I would have a lot to do. Most of all, I knew that it was one of the most important decisions I would ever make.
I was assigned to the Public Defender Service, where I helped a staff attorney file motions, prepare for trial, and argue in court. From the moment I arrived, I fell in love with the city and my job at PDS. Although I witnessed some injustice, I felt that my participation, albeit small, was important and that it was working! After looong days in the office and in court, I got to go out with my classmates and enjoy the parts of the New Orleans that weren’t destroyed by the storm (including the cuisine). My love grew exponentially.
I consider myself extremely fortunate for having the opportunity to be a part of New Orleans, even if it was only for a few days. I would be even more fortunate if I could visit the city again. I’m so glad I dedicated my vacation to something bigger than myself. And I’m so grateful that Howard University School of Law gave me the opportunity to help New Orleans rebuild its legal system.

--RM

New Orleans. The Big Easy. The first images I saw as we approached New Orleans were those of indescribable destruction. Empty houses. Abandoned apartment complexes and public housing projects. FEMA trailers—countless FEMA trailers. No this was not the Big Easy as I remembered it.
We stayed in the lower Ninth Ward—605 St. Maurice Ave to be exact. What was once a neighborhood full of families and history now stands desolate and empty. The silence is what I’ll remember the most. That and the sadness. I had the opportunity to work with Habitat for Humanity where I built beds for volunteers and worked on finishing a home for a fortunate family. I will never be mistaken for a master carpenter but I feel like I made my contribution. I met new people, made new friends, and heard new stories…
Sure, I ventured into the French Quarter and sampled the food, music, and spirits that New Orleans is famous for. I had my fun. But the tension between what New Orleans used to be and what it hopes to become is inescapable. For certain parts of the city it’s life as usual. For other parts of the city, it’s just devastation and emptiness.
I’ll spare you my socioeconomic and political impressions because in the grand scheme of things they are unimportant. My words cannot come close to describing the disparities… All I wish to say is that those of you interested enough to read this blog should see New Orleans with your own eyes and draw your own conclusions. The devastation, which cannot (and will not) be captured by a camera lens, is expansive and the need for help is tremendous.
The music plays on. Po boys are served. Hurricanes (and lots of them) are consumed by revelers late into the night. But the City is broken. New Orleans is broken and may never be the same.

--James E. Nichols






Stopping by New Orleans on a Spring Evening-
I am the driver. The man with the van. The gas tank is empty. I am the transporter of work, food, and fun. For many the trip would not be the same if not for me behind the wheel. There were early morning trips to work and late night trips to Bourbon Street. I have toured the city more times then I can count. Sleep is a luxury to me but there are miles to go before I sleep. I am a group leader, the man with a plan. Many a po’boy, beignet, and praline were consumed because of me the man with the van.
Seriously the Loyola Housing Project was a great opportunity to utilize legal reasoning and writing skills in a real life environment. Our case was a situation concerning adverse possession and we were overjoyed to discover that somehow we knew the elements. We felt like real lawyers and the fruit of our labor was praised by the Loyola Clinic Lawyers. Overall, ASB was a great opportunity for future engineers to start engineering but I know that I will always be remembered as “the man with the van”
--Lawrence V “as in Van” Cosby

No comments: